Thursday, April 29, 2010

Spanish Rice

Spanish rice.  Sounds kind of exotic and hard to make doesn't it?  Well if not to you then it did to me.  Until today I had only made the Rice A Roni type of spanish rice.  I love the stuff, but really didn't think it would be easy to make from scratch.  Boy was I wrong!  I received this recipe from the county extension office and fell in love.  Easy to do and very tasty.  I love that I can control the heat and the salt content too.  Of course it also tastes fresh and I love the bright colors.  So if your in a spanish mood give this a try.


1 cup chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp oil
16 oz can tomatoes
8 oz can tomato sauce
2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup uncooked rice

In saucepan, saute onions, peppers, and garlic in oil.  When tender add rest of ingredients except rice.  Bring to a boil.  Add rice, cover, and turn to low.  Cook 20-30 min or until rice is done.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment