Thursday, April 15, 2010

Cooking with bananas


I'm not a chef or culinary anything, but I do like to bake.  Recently I had some overripe bananas and looked up some new recipes to try.  I can't believe the amount of sugar called for!  It is my opinion that people underestimate the sweetness of an overripe banana.  Maybe they cook with ripe bananas and not overripe but really you need the banana to get really soft and ripe before you bake with it.  Hence the two pictures.  The first is of course what my bananas looked on the out side and the other is the inside.  Really a few more days or even a week of ripening wouldn't have hurt them any and would have only increased the sweet taste.  So next time you want to bake with bananas make sure they are good and ripe and then cut back on the sugar.  I usually cut it in half, but you can experiment to your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment