Monday, September 12, 2011

Apple Cobbler?



Looks like it.  Smells like it.  Tastes like it.  So, it should be it, but....it's not.  This is zucchini cobbler!  If you ever have too much zucchini and are tired of breads and chocolate cake (like that would ever happen) you can make this fake out cobbler.  To make the zucchini look apple like you first peel them, second scoop out the middle part with the seeds, and third slice.  For this batch I didn't care because I could make my kids eat it anyway so you can see the green peel.  However, a couple of days later, when I made it again for a get together dinner, I did and no one knew until I told them.  Very handy to have just in case you have picky eaters and you want to slip in some veggies.  My poor brother-in-law probably wanted to cut me out of the family when I told him.  Hahaha

Filling:
8 cups slice zucchini or summer squash about 3lbs
2/3 cup lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Crust:
4 cup flour
2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2-1 cup coconut depending on taste

In large saucepan combine zucchini and lemon juice; cook for 15-20 min or until tender.  Add sugar and spices.  Simmer for 1 min.  Remove from heat.
For the crust combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter.  Stir 1/2 cup into zucchini mix.  Add coconut to remaining crust mix.  Press 1/2 into greased 9X13" pan.  Spread zucchini mix on top.  Crumble remaining crust mix over top.  Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mix; optional.
Bake at 375* for 35-40 min or until golden and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment