Friday, July 1, 2011

Rhubarb Crisp

I love rhubarb crisp.  The sour taste of  rhubarb sweetened with sugar and topped with a streusel topping.  Nothing quite says spring like it.  After 2 years my rhubarb plants are established enough to provide enough rhubarb for a small crisp and at the request of my 10yr old I made one.
The secret to a good rhubarb dessert is the size of the cut rhubarb.  If you want to eat it and not pucker up too much, then you  must cut it into small pieces no bigger than 1/2".  I know this seems like lots of slicing but really it is the best.  These are my cut pieces.


8 cups rhubarb, sliced 1/4-1/2" thick
3 egg
3/4 cup flour
3 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups oatmeal
2 teaspoons cinnamon 

In a 9x13" pan mix eggs, 1/2cup flour and 3 cup sugar. Add rhubarb and stir in. In seperate bowl mix 1/4cup flour, 1/2cup sugar, oatmeal, cinnamon, and butter. Crumble over rhubarb mix. Bake at 375*F for 40 min.
Ready for the oven



You can eat it alone or even better topped with a scoop of ice cream.
YUM!



No comments:

Post a Comment