Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cookin' up Christmas

I had 9 days before Christmas and had just started my Christmas baking.  What was I thinking?!?  Usually I start right after Thanksgiving, but not this year.  I still have presents to make so of course I've procrastinated.  Well, I'm happy to say that most of my baking/candy making is done with only a couple things left.  I still have to finish presents, but I'm almost done with one then the others will go easier (I hope). 
I thought I would include some of my traditional candy recipes.  Treats that must be made every year.  Hope you take the time to try them.
This fudge recipe is in a previous post.



Peanut Butter Ritz Candy


1 box Ritz Crackers
1 jar Peanut Butter
1 jar Marshmallow Cream
Dipping Chocolate – white and brown
Colored sprinkles optional (red and green)


Spread one cracker with peanut butter and another with marshmallow cream. Put two crackers together to make a sandwich and then cover with melted chocolate. You can decorate the tops while still “wet” with sprinkles or when “dry” with opposite colored chocolate.




English Toffee

½-¾ C finely chopped nuts (usually walnuts, but whatever you have will work)
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
5 TBSP water
Hershey candy bars to fit the bottom of a pie tin/plate


Place chopped nuts in bottom of pie tin and lay the candy bars on top. In saucepan place sugar, butter and water cooking on high for 5-8 min until color is of a dark caramel. Stir constantly or mix will burn.


Uncle Dean's Sweet Mix

1 ½ cups corn syrup
1 ½ cups sugar
2 cups butter
½ teaspoon vanilla
1- big box Honey Grahams*
1- big box Rice Chex*
1 package slivered almonds*
1 cup (+/-) coconut*

Pour cereals, almonds, and coconut into a big bowl.

Over medium/medium-high heat stir together sugar, syrup and butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 min. Add the vanilla and pour over the cereal mix.

Spread out on 2-3 greased cookie sheets. Cool then eat.

* Nuts and amount of coconut are up to your tastes. You can use two boxes of Chex cereal but the contrast is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment